With the hottest days of the year upon us and IPA Day just around the corner, we felt now was the time to share a few simple, yet refreshing, ‘ALEtails’ you can make at home using our Rebel Grapefruit IPA! Rebel Grapefruit has been having a great summer as drinkers across the country have chimed in on their love for the real grapefruit juice and peel we brew into this beer. Even Men’s Health think it’s a great brew for the warm weather days!
Our brewers are really excited to announce that Rebel Raw, a big, hoppy double IPA with a 10% ABV and 100 IBUs, is now on shelves!
Rebel Raw is a limited release with a 35 day shelf life. IPA lovers can only find it in Boston, Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia and Washington DC.
We brewed with 6 lbs. of hops per barrel to create a huge hop character bursting with citrus, floral, spice, and resinous pine notes. Imagine burying your nose in a pile of fresh hop cones – that’s what you’ll experience when you sip Rebel Raw.
Because this is such an aggressively hop-forward brew, freshness is critical. Hop character diminishes over time, and we want IPA-lovers to enjoy this brew as fresh as possible in order to experience the optimal range of hop flavors and aromas.
So, if you find it, DRINK IT IMMEDIATELY to enjoy that fresh hop aroma and flavor. Once it’s gone, it’s gone.
We’ll be live updating this post. So, keep checking back to see where you can find Rebel Raw on shelves near you.
ATLAS LIQUORS -QUINCY 665 ADAMS ST QUINCY
AUBURNDALE DISCOUNT WINE – 2102 COMM AVE NEWTON
BELLE ISLE WINE&SPIRITS – 1144 SARATOGA STREET EAST BOSTON
BLANCHARD-REVERE INC. – 286 AM LEG HGWY REVERE
BLANCHARDS-ALLSTON INC. – 103 HARVARD AVE ALLSTON
BLANCHARDS-J P INC. – 741 CENTRE ST JAMAICA PLAIN
BLANCHARDS-W ROX INC. – 418 LAGRANGE ST WEST ROXBURY
BRADY’S PACKAGE STORE – 1516 COMMERCIAL ST WEYMOUTH
WESTSIDE STOP ONE DELI – 700 AMSTERDAM AVENUE, NEW YORK
WHISKEY KITCHEN – 60 ROUTE 303, VALLEY COTTAGE
WHOLE FOODS MARKET
95 EAST HOUSTON STREET, NEW YORK
214 3RD STREET, BROOKLYN
4 UNION SQUARE, NEW YORK
10 COLUMBUS CIRCLE STE SC101A, NEW YORK
270 GREENWICH STREET, NEW YORK
1551 3RD AVENUE, NEW YORK
226 EAST 57TH STREET, NEW YORK
250 7TH AVENUE, NEW YORK
808 B COLUMBUS AVE, NEW YORK
ZAROS BAKE SHOP – 2 PENN PLAZA CONCOURSE LEVEL, NEW YORK
ZARO’S BREAD BASKET – E.43RD CORNER VANDERBILT, NEW YORK
• 320 Market – 713 S Chester Rd, Swarthmore, PA
• American Sardine Bar – 1800 Federal St, Philadelphia
• Arcadia Chios The Greeks – 239 Haverford Ave, Narberth PA
• Avani Inc Federal Beer – 1440 Federal St 42, Philadelphia PA
• B & B – 3670 Sawmill Rd, Doylestown PA
• Baileys Bar & Grille – 6914 Bristol Emilie Rd., Levittown PA
• Beer City Quakertown – 391 W Broad St, Quakertown PA
• Bell Beverage – 2809 S Front St, Philadelphia PA
• Bella Vista – 755 S 11th St, Philadelphia PA
• Bensalem Beer & Soda – 1919 Street Rd, Bensalem PA
• Big Top Roslyn – 1555 Easton Rd, Abington PA
• Blue Dog Family Tavern – 4275 County Line Rd., Chalfont PA
• Blue Dog Ii – 850 S Valley Forge Rd., Lansdale PA
• Boathouse – 113 Fayette St, Conshohocken PA
• Boccellas – 37 W Eagle Rd, Havertown PA
• Bottle Bar East – 1308 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia PA
• Bottles Packs & Growlers – 701 E Cathedral Rd, Philadelphia PA
• Bounds Beverages – 308 Easton Rd, Warrington PA
• Brew – 1900 S 15th St, Philadelphia PA
• Brewers Outlet – 7401 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia PA
• Bridgids – 726 N 24th St, Philadelphia PA
• Bru Craft & Wurst – 1318 Chestnut St, Philadelphia PA
• Butcher And Barkeep – 712 Main St, Harleysville PA
• Candlewyck – 2551 Durham Rd, Buckingham PA
• Capones Restaurant – 224 W Germantown Pike, Norristown PA
• Cedar Point Bar & Restaurant – 2370 E Norris St, Philadelphia PA
• Cheu Noodle Bar – 255 S 10th St, Philadelphia PA
• City Taphouse – 3925 Walnut St, Philadelphia PA
• Cold Spring Beverages – 773 Durham Rd, Newtown PA
• Craft Ale House – 708 W Ridge Pike, Royersford PA
• Craft Beer Outlet – 9910 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia PA
• Dog & Bull Brew & Music – 810 Bristol Pike, Croydon PA
• East Falls Beverage – 4024 Ridge Ave, Philadelphia PA
• El Barrio – 1470 Buck Rd Village Shires Ce, Southampton PA
• Food And Friends – 1933 35 Spruce St, Philadelphia PA
• For Petes Sake – 900 S Front St, Philadelphia PA
• Frank A Smith Beverages – 180 Shoemaker Rd, Pottstown PA
• Franklin Beer Dist – 1837 Callowhill St, Philadelphia PA
• Frontier Saloon – 336 Kedron Ave, Folsom PA
• Global Beer Distributor – 1150 N American St, Philadelphia PA
• Grace Tavern – 2229 Grays Ferry Ave, Philadelphia PA
• Guilianos Deli – 2202 Mount Carmel Ave, Glenside PA
• Hulmeville Inn – 4 Trenton Rd, Langhorne PA
• Iron Abbey – 680 N Easton Rd, Horsham PA
• Isacc Newtons – 18 S State St Rear, Newtown PA
• Javies Beverages – 4901 Umbria St, Philadelphia PA
• Kite & Key – 1836 42 Callowhill St, Philadelphia PA
• Kunda Beverage – 349 S Henderson Rd, King Of Prussia PA
• Latimer Deli – 255 S 15th St 257, Philadelphia PA
• Liones Pizzaria – 102 Wallace Ave, Downingtown PA
• Local 44 – 4333 Spruce St, Philadelphia PA
• Locust Deli – 236 S 21st St, Philadelphia PA
• Madira – 1252 S 21st St, Philadelphia PA
• Monde Market – 100 S 21st St, Philadelphia PA
• Monks Cafe – 264 S 16th St, Philadelphia PA
• Northeast Beer – 7317 Castor Ave, Philadelphia PA
• Old Nelson Food – 3020 Market St, Philadelphia PA
• Old Philly Ale House – 565 N 20th St, Philadelphia PA
• Parkway Corner Deli – 2200 Spring Garden St, Philadelphia PA
• Pasquallys – 202 43rd St, Philadelphia PA
• Phillys Steaks & Beer – 160 Bristol Oxford Valley Rd, Langhorne PA
• Pinocchios Family Restaurant – 131 E Baltimore Ave, Media PA
• Rinos Pizza – 327 E Lancaster Ave, Exton PA
• Rons Original Bar & Grill – 74 E Uwchlan Ave, Exton PA
• Rye Brew – 2816 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia PA
• South Philly Tap Room – 1509 Mifflin St, Philadelphia PA
• Spinnerstown Hotel – 2195 Spinnerstown Rd, Quakertown PA
• Springfield Beer Dist – 2206 Washington Ave, Philadelphia PA
• Station Tap House – 194 W Ashland St, Doylestown PA
• Steam Pub – 606 2nd Street Pike, Southampton PA
• Stones Fairmount Bev Ctr – 1701 Fairmount Ave, Philadelphia PA
• Super Value Beverage Co – 625 Mearns Rd, Warminster PA
• The Beer Shoppe – 44 Greenfield Ave, Ardmore PA
• The Beer Store – 215 W Lancaster Ave, Malvern PA
• The Beer Store – 488 2nd St Pike, Southampton PA
• The Beer Yard – 218 E Lancaster Ave, Wayne PA
• The Bottle Shop – 1837 E Passyunk Ave, Philadelphia PA
• The Grey Lodge Pub – 6235 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia PA
• The Industry – 1401 Moyamensing, Philadelphia PA
• Thriftway #2497 – 2497 Aramingo Ave, Philadelphia PA
• Towamencin Beverage – 1555 Sumneytown Pike, Kulpsville PA
• Trenton Road Tavern – 1024 Trenton Rd, Levittown PA
• University City Dist – 4300 Walnut St, Philadelphia PA
• Varga – 941 Spruce St, Philadelphia PA
• Via Marconi Pizza Pub – 190 Forty Foot Rd, Hatfield PA
• Whole Foods Market – 821 Lancaster Ave, Wayne PA
• Whole Foods Market – 500 W Germantown Pike, Plymouth Meeting PA
• Whole Foods Market – 475 Wilmington Pike, Glen Mills PA
ACE BEVERAGE – 3301 NEW MEXICO AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
BARREL HOUSE LIQUORS – 1341 14TH ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
BATCH 13 – 1724 14TH ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
BELL WINE & LIQUOR – 1821 M ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
BIER BARON HOTEL & TAVERN – 1523 22ND ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
CAIRO LIQUOR STORE – 1618 17TH ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
CALVERT WOODLEY LIQUORS – 4339 CONNECTICUT AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
CHEVY CHASE WINE & SPIRIT – 5544 CONNECTICUT AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
CIRCLE LIQUORS – 5501 CONNECTICUT AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
CITY TAP HOUSE – 901 9TH ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
CLEVELAND PARK LIQUOR – 3423 CONNECTICUT AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
CONNECTICUT AVENUE LIQUOR – 1529 CONNECTICUT AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
DVINES – 3103 14TH ST N W, WASHINGTON DC
FADO IRISH PUB – 808 7TH ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
HARRIS TEETER #231 – 1631 KALORAMA RD NW, WASHINGTON DC
IRVING LIQUORS – 3100 MT PLEASANT STR NW, WASHINGTON DC
MAGRUDER LIQUOR – 5618 CONNECTICUT AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
METRO LIQUORS – 1726 COLUMBIA RD NW, WASHINGTON DC
MODERN LIQUORS – 1200 9TH ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
MORRIS MILLER LIQUOR – 7804 ALASKA AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
NANNY O’BRIENS – 3319 CONNECTICUT AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
NEW H WINE & SPIRITS – 914 H ST NE, WASHINGTON DC
OPEN DOOR MARKET – 2160 CALIFORNIA ST, WASHINGTON DC
ORANGE SPOON BUFFET – 1255 23RD ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
PREGO AGAIN – 1617 17TH ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
RIVERSIDE LIQUOR – 2123 E ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
RODMANS DISCOUNT DRUGS – 5100 WISCONSIN AVE NW STE B, WASHINGTON DC
SCHNEIDERS LIQUOR – 300 MASSACHUSETTS AVE NE, WASHINGTON DC
SHAW HOWARD DELI – 1911 7TH ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
SHERRYS WINE & SPIRITS – 2315 CALVERT ST NW STE A, WASHINGTON DC
SMOKE & BARREL – 2471 18TH ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
STAPLES BEER & WINE – 1364 FLORIDA AVE NE, WASHINGTON DC
SUDHOUSE – 1340 U ST NW, WASHINGTON DC
TENLEY MINI MARKET – 4326 WISCONSIN AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
TENLEY WINE & LIQUORS – 4525 WISCONSIN AVE NW, WASHINGTON DC
VAN NESS LIQUORS – 4201 CONNECTICUT AVENW, WASHINGTON DC
We received nearly a thousand entries for our 2013 LongShot American Homebrew Contest, and this month, we’re excited to release the LongShot Variety 6-pack with the winning brews!
Each year, one of the three winning Longshot beers comes from a Samuel Adams employee. We had a chance to chat with this year’s winning Samuel Adams employeee homebrewer, Teresa Bury, to learn more about her Pineapple India Pale Ale.
Q: What do you do at Samuel Adams?
A: I work on our Brewery Operations team and help make sure the brewery runs smoothly and to make sure we brew the right amount of beer so we have enough for all our drinkers!
I left my previous job at the age of 42 to pursue my passion for beer and it has been one my best choices I’ve made! It is very feasible to pursue your passion and to find a job that encompasses that passion.
Q: How long have you been a homebrewer? Do you have a particular style that is your go-to homebrew?
A: I have been homebrewing for about four years. I love to drink beer, but I really wanted to get into the process of making beer to help gain a deeper understanding of the brewing process – how it works, the ingredients, etc.
In terms of favorite beer styles, I’m a hop head and I love IPAs, especially when they’re brewed with west coast hops. For one of my most recent batches, I brewed a coconut IPA. One of my favorite Samuel Adams IPAs is Latitude 48.
We’re excited for you self-proclaimed “hop-heads” and IPA lovers out there to check out our newest IPA Hopology pack, which features a wide range of IPAs. Each beer in this pack brings something different to the table, and we are trying something new with our most recent addition: Roggen Wolf, a Rye IPA.
A beer is a “rye” beer when rye is substituted for some portion of the malted barley. It was common to use rye in beers in Germany until the 15th Century when a series of bad crops caused a big shortage of rye. When this happened, rye was only allowed to be used for baking bread. The practice of using rye in beers has since made a resurgence in Germany and in American craft brewing.
We caught up with one of our brewers who works in our nano-brewery, Eryn Bottens, to talk about his first commercially available brew and to find out what it’s like to work in the Samuel Adams nano-brewery.
Q: What is your role as a nano-brewer at Sam Adams?
A: I’m a brewer, and one of my jobs is to help create new beer recipes in the nano-brewery, which is located within our Boston brewery. We do all of our beer development and trial brews here.
The nano-brewery is essentially a mini brewery where we can be creative and innovative. Working on a small scale, we can do a lot of experimentation.
After countless test batches in our nanobrewery, we are ready to share Samuel Adams Rebel IPA with drinkers across the country!
What’s a nanobrewery? Think of it as our test kitchen, like where Jim Koch first brewed Boston Lager 30 years ago. Our nano, as we like to call it, is a small brewery system here in Boston where we can experiment and brew with any ingredients or techniques we think sound cool. To put it in drinkers’ terms, each batch yields around 10 gallons, or 4 cases of beer, so we’re talking small batches here.
For Rebel IPA, our goal was to capture everything we love about West Coast style IPAs in a beer that isn’t going to knock you out with bitterness. It was really brewed for maximum hop aroma and flavor. After tasting more combinations of Pacific Northwest hops than you can imagine, we ended up with 5 of our favorites in the winning recipe. Each adds something unique to the brew:
Cascade: Citrus and grapefruit flavor with subtle floral balance
Simcoe®: Grapefruit peel and pine notes
Centennial: Citrus flavor with clean resinous notes
Chinook: American pine character with slight spice notes
Amarillo®: Orange, grapefruit and notes of tangerine and some sweetness
At 45 IBUs, Rebel IPA won’t scrape your tongue with bitterness. But at 6.5% ABV and with big citrus, grapefruit, and pine notes, there’s no mistaking this is a West Coast style IPA.
Rebel IPA is available on draft nationwide and will be available in bottles (6 and 12 packs) starting this week. Check out our Find a Sam page to find Rebel IPA near you.
We want to know what you think about this brew. Give us your feedback on our Facebook page or send a Tweet using the hashtag #RebelIPA!
Like any true craftsman, brewers never stop working at perfecting their craft. No matter how delicious a particular beer might be, a brewer will take each sip with the thought of “what could I do to make this brew even better?”
You may know that each year, Jim and our brewing team make a pilgrimage to Bavaria to hand select the hops that will be used in Boston Lager. However, our curiosity and obsession with hops doesn’t end there as we’ve been experimenting with many newer varieties of late which led us to explore new and different combinations of beer styles and regional hop varieties.
In 2011, we rolled out a limited-edition Latitude 48 IPA Deconstructed pack.
Last year, we brewed a limited-edition Latitude 48 IPA Deconstructed pack, which featured two beers each featuring one of the five varieties of hops (Hallertau Mittelfrueh from Germany; East Kent Goldings from England; and Ahtanum, Simcoe, and Zeus from Washington state’s Yakima Valley). Tasting these 5 beers side by side was a great way to experience just how much impact different varieties of hops can have on the taste of a beer.
This year, we’ve taken that exploration in different direction. Our IPA Hop-ology variety pack is a hop lovers dream. ► Read More
The Boston Beer Company is America’s leading brewer of handcrafted, full-flavored craft beers. Founder and Brewer, Jim Koch, brews Samuel Adams® craft beers using the time honored traditional four-vessel brewing process, and the world’s finest all-natural ingredients. With over 30 distinctive, award-winning styles of craft beer, Samuel Adams offers discerning beer drinkers a variety of brews. The brewery has won more awards in international beer tasting competitions in the last five years than any other craft beer brewery in the world.
The Boston Beer Company is America's leading brewer of handcrafted, full-flavored craft beers. Founder and Brewer, Jim Koch, brews Samuel Adams® craft beers using the time-honored, traditional four-vessel brewing process, and the world's finest all-natural ingredients. With over 30 distinctive, award-winning styles of craft beer, Samuel Adams offers discerning beer drinkers a variety of brews. The brewery has won more awards in international beer tasting competitions in the last five years than any other craft beer brewery in the world.