Celebrate National Pizza Week and Football Playoffs with New England Clam Pizza
What could be better than football playoff season? The answer is simple: football playoffs, a cold Boston Lager, AND National Pizza Week.
We worked with pizza expert Mark Bello from www.pizzaschool.com to develop a pizza recipe that is perfect for rooting for our home team: New England Clam Pizza, made with Boston Lager infused pizza dough!
This pizza not only ties to our roots here in New England, but it pairs perfectly with Boston Lager. Boston Lager’s doughy notes from the malt complement the rich and creamy sweet notes from the mozzarella and the ricotta cheese and slightly sweet character from the clams. The pie’s slightly savory oregano flavor will emphasize the citrus characters of the beer’s Noble hops while the chili flakes finish this pairing with a little heat that is balanced by a complex and lingering finish.
Is your mouth watering yet? Check out the recipe below and feel free to try it while rooting for your favorite team…
1 risen ball of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Infused Dough (approx. 16 oz. – get the recipe here)
About ½ cup (3 oz.) chopped clams from one 6.5 oz. can; drain and reserve juice
About ½ cup (4 oz.) whole milk ricotta
About ½ cup loosely packed (2 oz.) whole milk mozzarella
1 teaspoon dried oregano plus more to shake on out of the oven
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes plus more to shake on out of the oven
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus more for oiling your cookie sheet, pizza pan, or screen
2 tablespoons clam juice (leftover from your can of clams)
2 tablespoons (1/2 oz.) grated cheese (i.e.: parmesan or Romano cheese)
1) Mix clams, ricotta, mozzarella, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, olive oil, and clam juice. Set aside.
2) Stretch dough to desired diameter (12” thicker, 14” thinner), and lay on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, pizza pan, or screen.
3) Apply an even layer of clam/cheese/spice mixture to about ½” from the border of the crust.
4) Evenly sprinkle on the grated cheese to the very border of the crust.
5) Bake for 10-15 minutes at 500 degrees F or until your toppings are bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
6) Out of the oven, drizzle on lemon juice and/or add more oregano and/or red pepper flakes to taste. Let rest a few minutes, and then cut, serve, and enjoy.
Looking for more cooking with Sam recipes? Check out the Food and Beer section of our website.