Eat, Drink Beer, and Be Married
The beer has been brewed. The justice of the peace has been booked. And Jim is working on his best man toast. It’s time for Samuel Adams Brewlywed Ale.
Last summer we celebrated the tradition of brewing for weddings with Brewlywed Ale, a Belgian-style “bride ale” available one-day only at our Boston Brewery. And on June 26th, we’re inviting everyone back once again for the chance to get their hands on this year’s batch, available for purchase exclusively on this day at the brewery. We’ve brewed just 300 cases of this 750mL cork-caged specialty beer so if last year is any indication, people will be lining up early for their chance to purchase a bottle or a couple of cases.
Brewlywed Ale is a distinct, complex brew that’s perfect for celebrating. It offers layers of flavor including tropical, floral aromas of Stella and Summer hops with subtle hints of spice. The malt character and soft hop profile impart an upfront frutiness, followed by lingering notes of clove and honeysuckle from Belgian yeast.
We’ve noticed that drinkers across the country are starting to catch on to what brewers have known for centuries – beer is an essential component to a wedding celebration. In fact, the medieval word “ale” is rooted in the word “bridal,” which refers to a festive occasion where much ale is drunk in celebration. Beer was typically brewed by the brides-to-be. Our brewers at Samuel Adams have been keeping this brewing traditional alive; not only did Jim make a beer for his own wedding, but he also brewed the very first batch of Samuel Adams Noble Pils to celebrate his daughter’s wedding. Even Bob brewed a special beer for his wedding that eventually became our very own Samuel Adams Irish Red.
We’re also inviting beer-loving couples who have their marriage certificate in hand to tie the knot* or renew their vows at the brewery. We will have a Justice of the Peace available to perform ceremonies on the spot while string quartet Maestro Musicians serenades couples in the background. Need a Best Man (or Maid of Honor)? Jim will be on hand to witness your special day. Last year we hosted three weddings in the brewery’s hop garden!
If you’re headed to our brewery for the love of beer, here’s what you need to know:
WHERE: Samuel Adams Brewery | 30 Germania Street | Boston, MA 02130
WHEN: Wednesday, June 26, 2013; 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- 7:00AM: Line up early. The first 50 people in line have the opportunity to purchase a bottle signed by our founder and brewer, Jim Koch. The first 20 people to arrive in bridal attire will be moved to the front of the line (guaranteeing one of those bottles).
- 9:00AM: Doors open and Brewlywed Ale is for sale! One 750ml Bottle of Brewlywed Ale will cost $14.99 and a case of 12 bottles will cost $179.88 (5 case maximum purchase).
- Toast from Jim Koch.
- Justice of the Peace will commence the wedding ceremonies and vow renewals.
- Sample beer-infused wedding fare from local small businesses and meet wedding vendors including LuLu’s Sweet Shoppe, City Feed and Supply, Delectable Desires, Batch Ice Cream, Karl’s Sausage Kitchen & European Market, Strawberry Hill Confectionary, Krista Photography and Wild Folk Studio flowers.
- Receive wedding advice from TheKnot.com Editor, Anja Winikka, expert on all things wedding-related.
- Hang out with our friends from 105.7 WROR’s Loren & Wally Morning Show who will be there to get in on the fun.
- Enjoy giveaways, a digital wedding photo booth and more…
- 1:00PM: Last call. Brewlywed doors close at 1PM. (If any beer remains, drinkers may purchase at the brewery gift shop until 4 p.m.)
Hope to see you and your loved ones there!
*A wedding license can be obtained in any Massachusetts City or Town Hall. There is a three (3) day waiting period after application before couples can pick up the license; it is valid for 60 days after it is picked up. A license must be present in order to be married. If you’re interested in potentially getting married or renewing your vows at the brewery, email firstname.lastname@example.org